Thursday, October 20, 2005

Putting it here

instead of OT, because lord knows, I do NOT want to start one of those discussions. Plus, this will probably be very rambling and disjointed, and I'm not in the mood to be critiqued.

So, I was reading the cheerleader thresd, and I have these thoughts:

I hate that people feel the need to classify activities as gender specific, and if someone of the other gender wants to participate, that makes them gay. (I also hate that people in this day and age still feel that someone being gay means there is something wrong with them, that they are somehow less than the straight person. But this rant is more about the perceptions of what is acceptable for boys to do, and what is acceptable for girls to do.)

It just disgusts me to hear the generalizations of if a guy is a gymnast, cheerleader (or yell-leader), or ice skater, then he MUST be gay. And if a woman is athletic, well, she's obviously a lesbian. Or that certain ways of dressing signal your sexual predilection. I can remember when I was a teenager, people saying if a guy had his ear pierced, that meant he was gay. Then it became if it was a particular ear (never could remember if it was "left-gay, right-straight" or the other way around). Oh, look! She's wearing a flannel shirt... you know what that means, right?

And I have to be honest, I cringe every time I hear someone boasting of their "gaydar". What fucking difference does it make if someone is gay or straight? The only time I really care, is if it's a guy I'm attracted to. I mean, I would like to know that I'm out of the running completely, you know? The only time I would ever really need to know, would be if the person in question asked me to fix them up with someone.

Crap. I had all these ideas in my head that I wanted to get out, and now it's just one big jumble, and I can't remember if I even had a point to this, much less what it is.

And when ever I hear a kid say "that's so gay", I just want to smack them. I think I've done a good enough job with my son that he doesn't do that. Of course, who knows what he says when he's away from me, and wants to fit in with the other kids. That reminds me of my first OT peep meet, which was last year. I had to bring Clint with me. He had been making comments, using "gay" as derogatory, about other kids at school (and I know that's where he picked it up), and I would try to calmly point out how wrong that was. Well, when it was getting close to the peep meet, I told him that a couple of the people we were going to meet were gay, and he damn well better not say anything to embarrass me. That if he wanted to be ignorant like that, there wasn't much I could do to change it, but he would be polite or else. Having him meet Doc was one of the best things that I could have ever done, to help him realize that "gay" doesn't mean bad or wrong or anything. Doc was so cool, and talked with Clint one on one like he was an adult during the meal, which meant a lot to Clint. When we got back home, Clint wanted to read the boards, to see some of Doc's postings. He always asks me about him, if I've seen him on the boards, etc. Clint said he was "kind". That's pretty much his highest compliment that he gives out. I might say someone was nice, interesting, cool, whatever... but Clint? He says people are kind, if he likes them.

Well, I totally got off track, didn't I?

29 comments:

BlindSlim~CSTL said...

Awwww, that's very sweet to read about Clint and Doc. Hope you'll have another peep meet soon with some GA-WV peeps

mm said...

I agree wholeheartedly Arkie! You said it all just fine here. I get frustrated too. Clint sounds like a smart kid.

*smooch*

arkie said...

OK, I'm going to have to leave this spam, because it is making me laugh... Funny, I don't remember talking about online loans or anything related to online loans in this post. I've read my post over again, and I still don't see it. So apparently, anonymous spammer hasn't found ANY blogs that are related to online loans, if this is the best he/she has seen so far. And does anyone really give a flyig fuck about the number of blogs in Finland?

arkie said...

and that's supposed to be "flying fuck" not flyig fuck. LMAO.

Steve, looks like that peep meet might be in March, so syren can get her second tattoo, and I will hold her hand. If I have decided what I want by then for my 2nd one, that might be when I do it.

MM, thanks. I may be just a little biased, but I think he's pretty smart. *grin*

jenbeauty said...

Oh arkie I get your points. I always have great thoughts too but sometimes they just don't appear to come out correctly.

And as for Doc and treating your son with respect, that is awesome! I am so glad you were able to incorporate your online life into your real life and make a difference.

Bravie said...

This whole post way gay. And my gaydar is picking up on you. Are you wearing flannel? Have you stolen my handbook.
Was it okay to assume that my brother was gay when he was 5 years old and carrying a purse?

arkie said...

Thanks, koko! I just sometimes think I ramble around so much, and lose my train of thought, that I just don't make any sense. Plus, I'm really bad to start a conversation in my head, and think a lot of things out, and then when I actually have the conversation with someone, I start mid-stream, and of course, they have no clue what I'm talking about.

Boo, *smooch*. No, I don't think you are trying to *debate* me. *grin*

Carey? Kiss my big fat ass. You are such a dork. But I love you anyway. And no, I am not wearing flannel, because it makes me too hot, and it's friggin ugly to boot! I am wearing pink. And my favorite pink lace bra. But I'm ashamed to admit, my panties don't match my bra. But I don't care. I like my sea-mist green lace thong.
Oh, and I've got your gaydar right here! *grabs crotch*

arkie said...

Oh, and I also forgot...

Does that mean that I am into S&M because I wanted a bullwhip when I was 8?

Schnookie said...

I feel the same way Arkie. I had to ask my stepson not to say "that's so gay". He may continue saying it around his friends, perhaps not. Someone has to teach them right?

I'm glad that Clint went away from the TN peep meet with a positive view. Doc is terrific and it's no surprise that he treated Clint nicely. I was very impressed with Clint when we met. He didn't sit there and sulk. It was refreshing to see.

You know, I only learned that flannel supposedly meant you were a lesbian from that other place. I always thought it meant you were a lumberjack ... or Canadian *grin*

arkie said...

Hehe, Nookie! And I always thought that wearing flannel just meant you had bad fashion sense. *grin*

Bravie said...

I don't have S&Mdar. Just gaydar. *grin*

Glowie said...

Sounds like you're doing a fine job with that boy. *smooch*

arkie said...

Bob, Doc is volsfan. And yeah, I think actually making him realize that "gays" are actually people, not just some abstract really had an impact on him.

*smooches* Glowie. Thanks. It's hard sometimes, because I have to combat the redneck crap his dad imparts.

Carey, care for a juicey peach? *wink*

Rose said...

*waves* to Arkie.

I agree. I worry so much about raising my kids to be good people. I was kind of sheltered as a kid, and the RW was a total shock...

*smooch*

Zombs said...

Nice thoughts there Arkie and I agree except that flannel is not ugly. Also about Doc...I wish he had a blog!

What about lugers? What do you think about them? What if the guys wore flannel latex?

I spent a good part of the early 90's swathed in flannel. I think it is very feminie.

My favorite flannel was red with unicorn on the pocket.

Syren said...

I say gaydar all the time.

Yes in March, and I might bring some other friends too.

But you have to hold my hand. I will cry.

*smooch*

Bravie said...

Yes please Arkie. *grin*

arkie said...

*waves* to Rose! Where have you been?

*snorts* at Zombie... Lugers must be very secure in their packages to wear those suits. That's what I think.

Syren, I will definitely hold your hand.

Carey - It's yours when you want it. *wink*

Coco said...

I am wearing flannel pyjamas, the bottoms of which belonged to my dead great-aunt. They have *front* and *back* written on them in black Sharpie.

Anyway, I want to metoo what these guys said about you and your son. It sounds like he had a great experience and that you are a great mom. *smooch*

~Nutz said...

Oh arkie, hon, I understood what you meant! *smooches*

I *heart* Doc too you guys! He's such a sweetie. We really ought to make him get a blog!

Bravie said...

Hi Arkie. I'm buzzed. How you doin? *grin*

Seana said...

Carey, this is a serious topic, eh? Arkie tells us what a great job she's doing raising her son, and you're all "Wooo! I'm buzzed!"

arkie said...

Coco, you had to label both sides? I didn't know you were a blonde, too. *smooch*

Y'all are right. We've got to get Doc into our blog world.

mm said...

I agree with Seana.

*flashes arkie*

Wooooo!

Bravie said...

arkie arkie bo barkie

Bravie said...

I'm eating bread.

arkie said...

What kind of bread?

yvonne said...

I want a tattoo, but I'm askeered of the needles and the pain. So, will you and Syren get one for me? Purty please?

And? Doc is awesome. I love him so much. I am so glad Clint was able to meet him, and that it was so positive.

*smooch*

Bravie said...

Doc posted in my blog once. *big grin*

*pout* Seana scolded me. *hangs head*