Thursday, July 28, 2005

My baby's not a baby anymore


Last week, my baby turned 14. He's almost as tall as me, now. His voice has been steadily getting deeper and deeper. Of course, that started happening a couple of years ago. It's funny how you don't notice those kind of things as they happen day to day. I noticed it because I had gotten my son a cell phone two years ago. He had recorded his name for the voice mail. Most times, when he called, I usually answered. It was rare that his calls went to my voice mail. But one day, I missed the call. So I checked my voice mail, and there's his cute young voice, announcing his name, and then the message starts, and there's this deep voice saying, "hi, Mom". I was so startled. When did this happen? Of course, he has changed the recording on his voice mail, so I've lost being able to hear how he used to be. The above picture was taken when he was 9 or 10 months. This one below was taken 6 years ago. He wanted to dye his hair red. Fire engine read. I remembered it turning out more cotton candy pink than what it looks like in this photo. Poor child... His cheap momma said she would be able to do it at home, no need to go somewhere to have it done. But it is a very pretty shade of pink, dontcha think? He kept begging to have it done, and didn't want to wait until school was out. The guidance counselor at his school had called and chewed me out over this. But it was just hair, ya know? I don't believe I scarred my child for life, like she implied.



He hates to have his picture taken now. Guess that's just one of the "phases" of being a teenager.

No comments: