Monday, July 25, 2005

guilt

I hate feeling guilty. Hate it! And I have felt guilty all day. Sometimes, I'm just not a very good friend or nice person.

Background info that will make sense at the end of the story: I live 3 miles away from my office. One of my co-workers that I'm friends with, lives about 30 miles away the office.

Last night, around 11:00, she IM's me, all in a panic. She had forgotten to calculate statements before she left Friday afternoon. This had to be done before Monday morning. She kept asking me what she should do. I told her she needed to go to the office right then, and get it started. I didn't volunteer to go do it for her. And I'm only 3 miles away. Just not very nice. And I have felt bad about it all day.

3 comments:

HistoryDetective said...

Don't beat yourself up. Poor planning on somebody else's part does not constitute an emergency on your part.

Bravie said...

What HD said.

arkie said...

Thanks! I guess the guilt is coming from the fact that I'm always the nice one. Everyone knows that if you want something done, and can't get volunteers, just ask me. Saying "no" doesn't come easy to me, and when I do it, (or in this case, ignore the unspoken request), I feel like, oh, I don't know, like I've let someone down. Even though, in this case, there is no way this was my responsibility. (I'm not feeling nearly as guilty today, *smile*.)