Sunday, September 24, 2006

Well, hell

Or, arkie can be so stupid sometimes.

I have been looking for a bookcase to put in my guest bedroom for a really long time. Never could find exactly what I was looking for. So, last weekend, I go to the Unfinished Furniture store, and find 3 small bookcases in a style I like. Next to them was some finished pieces in a finish that I liked. I asked the guy what I would use to make these pieces look like the ones next to them, and he showed me which wax to use. So, I buy the 3 bookcases (ftr, I would have preferred one large bookcase, but I knew I would have to fit whatever I bought in my small car) and the wax. The guy at the shop told me I would need to lightly sand the pieces before staining them. Yesterday, I went to Home Depot and bought the fine grain sandpaper and some tack cloth. This morning, I decide I'm going to get these knocked out. I sand one of them, and start staining it. And it has turned out exactly like I wanted. However, I did not want my hands to look like rustic pine. Yep, should have worn gloves to do this. My nails look hideous! I'm hoping I will be able to scrape this crap out from around the nailbeds. Ugh!

11 comments:

~Nutz said...

Eventually, the rust color will wear off your hands and you'll be left with 3 beautiful bookcases that you lovingly stained yourself!

Go arkie!

arkie said...

My nails look like a mechanic's. I wonder, do ya think that stuff mechanics use to wash their hands (Goop) would take this stuff off?

But I do love the way my bookcases turned out.

Glowie said...

I'm not sure if Gojo will work or not. If not, paint thinner will.

Swami said...

--Soak & scrub your fingers in paint thinner.
--Use full strength PineSol to wash off the paint thinner.
--Use regular hand soap to wash off the PineSol.
--Then slather your hands all over with a nice handcream and put vinyl gloves on right over the hand lotion.
--Leave the gloves on for about an hour so your hands can thoroughly absorb the needed moisturizers.

At least that's what I did.

Also, never hold something in your hand while spray painting it black.

Bravie said...

While you're dirty, could you come and do my kitchen cabinets, please?

HistoryDetective said...

I have a table that needs to be done when you're finished at Carey's place.

I will be providing beverages! *wink, wink*

arkie said...

Nail polish remover got rid of most of it.

HD, since you're providing beverages, I'll do you before Carey.

Puffy said...

How nice of you to offer to "do" people. Male or female.

Bravie said...

Pfffffft.

arkie said...

What?

Lasann said...

I always work bare handed also. My nails were long and beautiful until I started gardening (catching up from being un-able this summer). Now all nails are gone and my cuticles are discolored.

Swami has good advice. I just hope the skin will be left intact!