Sunday, April 30, 2006

collections

What do you collect? What made you start collecting those things? When adding to your collection, do you have a certain mental checklist of criteria that the item must meet? How many things do you have to have, before it's a "collection"?

I have a few collections. I collect cookbooks, I guess you could say I collect paperback romances, because I keep almost all of those that I buy, I also collect Pegasus items, wolf figurines, waterglobes and music boxes, and I have recently started collecting shot glasses.

This is what I have so far in my shot glass collection:



The first one (going left to right) is from BB King's in Memphis, when I went to the Memphis in May music festival last year, and met Asrai. Next is the one I picked up in Florida last year, when I went on a business trip. The third and fifth ones are from my recent trip to Texas, which was a business trip and a peep meet. The fourth one was given to me by Doomie. It says "I don't care if he calls or not". The last one is from my home state of Arkansas. On the back, it has 5 different level markers, and the directions. 1. Get favorite beverage. 2. Fill to level of favorite bloodsucker (beginning with Used car salesman, then lawyer, ex-wife, dracula, and ending at the top with Arkansas Skeeter). 3. SUCK IT DRY!

Maybe for another post, I'll do one of my other collections. If anyone's interested in seeing them, that is.

8 comments:

HistoryDetective said...

I collect sheep. It was unintentional, but George started a trend. I also collect books, especially fantasy. I used to collect pewter wizard figurines, but not so much any more. My mother will occasionally give me a wizard of some sort, but she seems more focused on sheep now. I guess that I collect empty wine bottles. The top of the bookshelf in the dining room has dozens of empty wine bottles. I collect tea kettles too. I love tea kettles. Maybe I should post some of them on my blog.

arkie said...

Yes, you should post some of them. I would be interested in seeing them.

Swami said...

Oh! I love collections!
I collect:
-tea-cups
-turtles
-Asian religious statues
-Breyer horses
-hosta varieties
-dust bunnies

Maybe I should take some pics and post them on my blog because this is a case where one picture is definately worth 1,000 words!

Coco said...

My collections are limited to books, cats, and dustbunnies.

May I specify, however, that the 'cat' part is actual breathing cats, and not, as some people seem to think, cat figurines, cat salt-and-pepper shakers, and cat t-shirts.

I also collect flab.

Puffy said...

I liked seeing your shot glass collection. Good idea to share collections; I'd like to see others.

I collect cat stuff. It also was unintentional. When I moved to my house, a few people gave me cat decorations as housewarming gifts and it mushroomed (sorry, Bob) from there.

Bravie said...

Well as you know, I too collet shot glasses. Hmmm, I have a very similar shot glass from Arkansas. I wonder where that came from. *smooch*.
I also collect anything 49ers. I have a CD and DVD "collection". i collect stuff for my Hollywood room.

Swami, what kind of turtle itmes? I collected turtles for years and just sort of stopped adding to the collection about 15 years ago. But I still have the entire collection. Somewhere.

I think a collection becomes a collection as soon as you decide that you want to collect something.

arkie said...

I started collecting the shot glasses when I went to Florida. I already had the Arkansas glass, the BB King glass and the one from Doomie, but I was actually collecting them yet. I wanted a souvenir, and really liked the one I picked up. Then I decided that I would get one whenever I actually travel anywhere.

I am picky about what goes in the collection of Pegasus and wolves. As far as the pegasus, I will not have any that have the unicorn horn. And the wolves, well, it just has to speak to something inside me. I know that sounds weird and pretentious, but that's how I feel about my wolf collection, which is why it is so small.

As far as my cookbook collections, I'll take anything. I prefer that either it have recipes I would actually use, or have background information, either about the recipe, or if it's a regional book, about the area.

Glowie said...

I collect just about everything. Wolves being probably the biggest collection.