Sunday, October 15, 2006

Breast Cancer Awareness

As we all know, October is breast cancer awareness. Please, do the monthly self breast exams. Once you're 40, get a mammagram once a year. And if you ever find a lump that concerns you, for the love of God, go to the doctor. I just found out that another one of my aunts has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She knew she had it, but decided to treat it herself at home with Vicks and turpentine??????? What the hell was she thinking??????? She finally went to the doctor when her back started bothering her and she was afraid it had moved to her spine. Her daughter told my mother that she really doesn't think her mother will make longer than a year now.

Cancer is so common in my family. Maternal grandmother: breast cancer, skin cancer. Paternal grandmother: lung cancer, pancreas cancer. Paternal grandfather: skin cancer, "spots on the lung and brain". Paternal aunts: breast cancer. Maternal aunts: breast cancer, cancer on the brain.

7 comments:

Bravie said...

Yes ma'am. I plan on going in January and having a full physical. Pooey, this year I will be adding the mammogram to my visit.

arkie said...

But, gee, Carey, having a mammogram is such fun. After all, who doesn't want their oobie flattened out to the thickness of a pancake? Actually, I'd rather deal with the mammogram any day over the pap smear.

Bravie said...

Neither are all that appealing to me. :(

Seana said...

I don't want either either.

Or something. My doctor tells me that lumps in the breast are most often found by the partner.

I am currently more worried about lung cancer, since that's what my father has recently been treated for. We have to wait until the end of the month for results.

I'm going to go dig out that pink ribbon sig that syren made last year.

Puffy said...

I noticed Arkie and Seana using the pink ribbon sig so I dug mine out, too.

arkie said...

I had forgotten I had that sig pic until you mentioned, Seana. thanks!

~Nutz said...

Always a good reminder, arkie.

{{{hugs}}}