Sunday, October 08, 2006

So. Have you ever done something, or said you were going to do something, just on the spur of the moment, and really didn't think it through? I do this all the time. Now that I'm starting to really think about it, I'm not sure it can be done. Or should be done. Or maybe just not right now. Later would be better. Or am I trying to put it off just because I'm scared, and doing this takes me WAAAAAY out of my comfort zone? *sigh*

I'm thisclose to cancelling my trip. The more I think about it, the more I think maybe this is just not a good idea. I'm just getting a bad vibe about the whole thing. So, I've bought the plane tickets and I have a place to stay, but then what? What am I going to do that whole week? How am I going to get around? What the hell was I thinking???? What do I pack? How do I need to dress? I don't do checked luggage, so I limit myself to what can go in the carryon. Is that feasible for a week though???? Shit. I'm making myself crazy here. I have to have a plan. Not having a plan is stressing me out. Who the fuck goes on vacation without having some concept of what they are going to do???? (Besides insane people like myself??) This is stupid.

36 comments:

mm said...

God you're cute. Now hush up, pack your damn suitcase, get over here and do nothing. *grin*

Seriously, it may be out of your comfort zone, but I can tell you from personal experience, going out of mine has produced the very best memories I have ever made. You won't regret going, but you will very likely regret cancelling.

Bravie said...

Yeah, what Eminem said. *smooch*

Breezy said...

You have to go!!! You get to meet me. *grin*

arkie said...

But I don't have a plan!!!!! {/whine

Bravie said...

Plans, schmans.

arkie said...

Don't mock my need for plans.

Seriously, I'm a bit freaked out. I have no idea of what type of clothes I need to bring, how many pairs of shoes I might need, and how much money I need to have with me. I bought a travel guide, and I think I could somehow muddle through with the public transit, but I'm not sure. I just have this mental picture of myself sitting at a train station all day, not having a clue which train to get on, and being afraid I will get lost.

Schnookie said...

*WHACKS sense into Arkie*

Don't over think things. Lord knows, I'm exactly the same but I wouldn't cancel the trip. Besides, I want to see you again!!

I'm sure Catt & Carey can advise on the type of clothes to bring (re weather). Always have Catt & Carey's phone numbers with you. They will be just a phone call away. Shoes? Just bring a comfortable pair of shoes. Bring a jacket cause I'm sure it'll be chilly.

DON'T CANCEL!!!!!

kim (weltek) said...

*whack*
Snap out of it!

The only way to conquor your fears is to jump right in.

Check some luggage. Just keep your essentials in a carry-on. I travel quite a bit & have never lost luggage. The ratio of people that travel to those losing luggage is quite low.

Carey will help you navigate the transportation system a few times (right, carey?) and then you'll be fine. Read the schedules & routes thorgoughly on the plane. :-)

Chris is going to have a week out there to be alone & he has anxiety issues, so he's got a little fear, too. But it's an opportunity you can't miss. Just do it & focus on relaxing and creating good memories.

Oh, and daytime is a good time to wander the city. all the hustle & bustle people are at work. Lil friendly old people & stay-at-home parents are also wandering the city when you'll be.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Who travels without a plan?

Lots of people-and they have a great time.

If you are totally freaking out, I give you permission to come back early once you get down there.

But you have to go.

Glowie said...

Don't cancel, silly woman. {{hug}}

kim (weltek) said...

Bob is smaaart. Come back early if becomes problematic.

Bravie said...

Clothes: You will be in SF. Plan on the weather being in the 50's and 60's. But I would advise to check weather.com a couple of days before you leave. Because our weather is very unpredictable.

Public transit is super easy around here. They really make it very user friendly. Some of the buses in the city use things like "The F line" but otherwise, most of our public transit lists the destinations on the train. Also, there are easy to read maps in all of the mass transit stations. Super easy.
You have my phone number. If you are feeling at all lost or scared, you call me. I know my way around here very well and I can talk you to where you are going, no problem.
I've checked all of my plans and houseguests and whatnot, so you can stay with me Monday. You come to me via train (straight shot, super easy)on Monday morning. We will hang out all day, you will spend Monday night with me and Michelle and then on Tuesday I will take you to the airport. Easy peazy.
Friday night, you will be coming over here with Chelli for a party.
So see? you have some plans already set for you.
As for money, we have these weird things out here that we call ATM machines. If by chance you didn't want to bring a lot of cash, we could stop by these weird machines and you could get more money. :P

mtw said...

*WHACK*

Come on out here arkie! We are going to try to meet for lunch one day, remember?

MM is right. Your biggest regret would be *NOT* going!

Jen said...

I'm not going to *whack* you because I can totally understand where you're coming from. I would be terrified as well. But think of how bummed you would be if you didn't go and then had to hear all the stories about what a blast everyone had. You would be disappointed and regret that you didn't go.

I agree with Kim that you should go ahead and check your luggage. That way you don't have to try and cram everything into a little carry-on. For a week? I think you will need something bigger.

And also, like Carey said, if you run out of money, you can always go get more.

*big hugs* You can do it.

arkie said...

OK. So if you check your luggage, what exactly is involved with that? Do I need luggage that can be locked? Do I lock it? I would need luggage tags, too, right? To identify it? You're going to have to give me step by step information here. I've only flown 3 times, and always just used carry-on, because I would only be there overnight.

And ftr, I know what ATM machines are. I just don't like using other banks ATM's because I'm cheap and don't like paying the fees. So sue me. The bank I use is only in the southeast, so it's not a matter of finding a branch in SF.

Clothes - ok, I need to be prepared for chilly weather. But will I be able to get by with just jeans and casual tops? Or am I going to look like some slob/country bumpkin if that's what I wear?

(Sorry, but sometimes my Rainman/Forrest Gump personality traits emerge and can't be repressed)

arkie said...

Oh, yeah, I forgot to say that, yes, I would really regret if I didn't come and missed out on meeting Ginger, Catt, Breezy, Augie (she is coming, right?), possibly MTW if we can work that out, and maybe MM? and seeing Nookie again. Oh, and Carey, too. I would really be sorry if I didn't get to meet Carey.

Schnookie said...

You don't need a lock. Airport security will only break it open.

Yes, you'll need a tag, or throw a business card inside the suitcase.

For better identification, tie a piece of yarn or ribbon on the handle.

Bravie said...

Jeans and casual tops will be fine. Unless Catt plans on taking you somewhere fancy. I'm wearing jeans and a dress casual shirt on Friday night. It is not a formal party at all.

You can't lock your luggage anymore so don't worry about that. I put a bright pink strap that I got from Target around mine. I also keep a business card in it too. You can always get the id tag at the airport too. They supply little paper ones.
Just keep asking us all of the questions that you have and don't feel like Rainman. We understand that not everybody is a world traveler. You're going to be fine. I promise.

Bravie said...

Just remember to pack necessities in your carry one. A change of panties, medication, toothbrush etc.
Don't forget that you can only carry the small travel liquids on your carry on.

Jen said...

It's not stupid to be worried about these things, Arkie. I was freaking out over lots of airplane related things before my trip to SF.

Glow and I did carry-on on the way there, and it was such a hassle (trying to get the bags through the aisleway and up into the bins) that we checked them on the way back. I would also recommend putting your liquids (shampoo, face wash, etc) in a ziploc bag or something because mine got a little squished when we checked them and my eye makeup remover leaked all over.

As for how much money to take, I really can't help you there. You'll probably be eating out most of the time, yes? So, maybe $50/day for food (?), and more for drinks at night. And you'll need money for souveniers. Carey can tell you about the fares for the public transport.

Seana said...

You're going to have such a great time. And you won't be stuck in some little box of planning - you're free to sleep in if you want, or have lunch at some cool place you found while you were taking a walk. No guilt if you don't make it to the zoo promptly at 10:13.

Take lots of pics.

*hugs* for the brave girl.

And the Brave girl, too. Just 'cause.

Monstah said...

Ahkie, that little voice telling you to cancel your trip? I think it is the small, manufactured voice of fear.

And the best vacations are the loosely planned ones. Lose yourself in the moment. That is the best part of traveling, I think.

mtw said...

Here's a cool cash tip. If you have a debit card that works in the supermarket, then use it AT a supermarket to get cash back with your purchase. Buy some gum or a bottle of wine, or something else you need then get as much cash back as you need. This avoids having to pay the ATM fees!

Aislinn Sirk said...

Packing tip: Half as many clothes, twice as much money.

Puffy said...

Don't yell "Hi, Jack!" when you see your friend Jack at the airport.

kim (weltek) said...

Are you still stressing over this? I'm still jealous you'll all be there & I'm arriving a week late. *pout*

arkie said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm somewhat calmer, but still nervous. But that could be the excitement part. I'm still bugging a little about clothes. I will probably go shopping this weekend to get some new stuff. And I might need a new suitcase. I will have to do a trial run on the packing to see if I can fit everything I think I need in what I already have.

It's not doing new things that freak me, it's not knowing what to do. The first time I flew, it wasn't the thought of flying that scared me, it was the thought of having to navigate the airport.

And I plan on taking LOTS of pictures. I bought an extra memory card and a back up battery for my digital camera. I'm thinking about even bringing my 35mm camera and few rolls of film.

Schnookie said...

I'm the same way Arkie. This will only be the 4th time that I fly on my own. I get tremendously nervous beforehand thinking about navigating airports etc. I try to visualize every single moment.

Bravie said...

Well if it makes either of you feel any better, we have the most user friendly airport I have ever been in and I have been in a lot of airports. Whether you check luggage or not, you pretty much have a straight shot from the plane to outside.
Oh wait, Arkie, you're flying into San Jose, aren't you. I've never been inside that airport but I know that outside is pretty easy to spot peeps.
But SFO is the easiest airport ever on earth.

arkie said...

Actually, I'm flying in to Oakland. Catt said that would be better for her to pick me up. And it really worked out well for me, as I was able to get non-stop flights in and out of Oakland, and the ones to San Jose weren't. Plus I might have had to change planes unless I wanted an ungodly early flight.

arkie said...

And I would have flown into SFO, but Southwest (who has super cheap flights) doesn't fly there.

Bravie said...

I know. I hate that Southwest doesn't fly there. Grunt.
What time is your flight out now? Is it still on Tuesday?

Breezy said...

*makes notes for my trip*

Great questions Arkie.

arkie said...

Yep, it's still on Tuesday - departure time 10:55 am. I'll get home just in time for the 5:00 traffic. Yay.

~Nutz said...

Ummm... the best vacations are always the ones where you can be spontaneous, I've found!

Go to the Exploratorium!

Lasann said...

My best vacation was the one when I flew alone to LA and spend 4 or 5 days just travelling up the coast. But that's me.

When I was in SF I was so awed by the sights, smell and feel of the city that I could have spent hours just sitting watching people. The wharf, Golden Gate park, the curvy street, china town, coit tower. One day you could take transportation downtown and just people watch.

You should go - really!

Oh, and every time I've been in SF I've had to buy a sweatshirt. The weather is so unpredictable from morning to night.