Ok! The first one? The guy's is a compete and utter moron... PLUS!!! He can't add or do percents worth a shit! Anyone with half a brain knows that 99.02% + .08% does not add up to 100%! What happened to the other .09%??? Either use .02 or 2%, duh! {/math rant} Another thing! Ain't it funny how a bunch of the comments left are spam with a link to a phone sex line??? I would hope that if he calls them, he finds lovely large women on the other end! *grin*
The second one was, for me anyway, inspirational. The lady seems to accept who she is and makes no apologies to anyone for being herself. However, what is sad is the examples she points out that occur in life to women like her. It's a shame to me that this culture is defined by size and people aren't accepted as who they are. ...but I have to give kudos to her for putting herself out there!
So funny too because this is a timely post for me. Yesterday, I was playing around with a body mass index calculator. All you had to enter was your height and weight. For the record, I am 5 ft. 3 in. and weigh about 180 lbs. There was nothing else to enter. Not even a gender! Aren't men & women built differently?
At any rate, the thing told me I was obese! Now, I know I'm chubby and I could definitely stand to lose some weight, but I wear a size 12 or 14. I could even call myself pretty darned overweight, but obese? Makes me wonder how many people with a bad self image go use those things online and then feel even worse. I wonder what would happen if I put in 350 pounds. The thing would probably say I'm dead.
I don't think size matters anyway. ...and some people are just asshats about it.
I agree, Nutz. The guy is so full of hate - he's directing it to BBW's on that post, but I took a look at a couple of his other posts, and dude hates women. He says he's in a relationship with a woman, but I find that hard to believe.
The second link is very inspirational to me. It takes such strength of character to learn to accept yourself, especially when your body type is one that is not accepted by society. People seem to feel like they have the right to downgrade someone large, as if large people are of some sub-class, and are less of a person than others who meet the "ideal" of physical beauty. I have to be honest, when I was a teenager, I was one of those people. I would make fun of people larger than me, even though I was not small by any means. And I got the whole "you would be cute if you lost weight" as a teenager. I think I've finally grown up in that aspect. No, I'm not going to find everyone attractive or beautiful, but I don't have the right to try to make them feel bad and say rude, hateful things to them because of that. I have been trying very hard to not make deragotory (sp?) comments based on physical appearance.
I found a BMI calculator - I'm morbidly obese. I find it hard to believe that you're considered obese, because supposedly obese is 100 lbs overweight. Even if you're only 5'3", 80 lbs seems unhealthy.
First one - you can tell the guy is just a jerk from almost his very first words. So I didn't read much of it because life is too short to waste reading stuff like that.
The second one was very lyrical & inspirationally written. I thought her photos were beautiful.
I have often thought it is so ironic that a person who is a dishonest, drug-addicted, child-abusing, self-centered moron - but thin - will always be considered at first glance as a more worthy person than a totally upstanding and kind overweight person.
That first guy has some serious issues. I wouldn't let an asshat like that get to me. It says a lot more about him than anyone else. All of his posts are rather disgusting.
Yes, this guy is an asshat. But he's not the only one to feel that way, and to express those feelings. It happens all the time. It's like Swami said, people will automatically assume a thin person is someone a better quality person than a overweight person, for no other reason than their size.
Some people feel like bashing fat people is perfectly all right, that it's ok to make fun of them and say very rude and derogatory comments behind their back and to their face, because they must "choose" to be that way. Otherwise, they would get up off their fat lazy asses, and quit eating, and so on and so on. And when someone does bash a fat person, it's very rare to see someone step up and say something against it. I would direct you to one of the "Smooth" threads on OT for an example. Shakes gave advice to Smooth that he should go pick up some fat chick (also referred to as an oinker) and hate-fvck her and to continue to do this every night until he feels better. Like fat women deserve to be treated like dirt, or should be grateful for any attention, and so on. I know, shakes is an ass, but not one person said anything against his advice, and as a matter of fact, some people seemed to be endorsing it. (BTW, did anyone notice that the blogger is from Chicago - home of Shakes?? coincidence?) There have been pictures of overweight women posted on OT as "humor", and the only thing funny is that they're overweight - yeah, that's real funny. And again, I don't recall anyone ever saying that's not funny. Of course, I haven't either, and I really should. There was also an incident on one of the blogs, where someone made a comment that someone else should be made to spend hell with "nekkid fat people". So, spending time with overweight people is a punishment. And this person was commenting on the other person's lack of tolerance. But apparently, tolerance is not to be extended to fat people.
reading this is sort of an eye opener for me. I see straight people defending gay people all the time and I guess I'm sort of guilty of living in my box. Because I don't ever recall saying anything to anyone who makes a fat joke or reference. perhaps I will be more conscious of it next time. Hugs*
Well, I looked at both blogs, and have some things to say, but now I feel like a half-brained idiot because all the math talk has completely befuddled me.
I'll definitely come back and make my comments, later.
Okay, now that I'm done laughing at Nutzy I can comment seriously. I still haven't read either blog, but really doubt it's necessary.
There's too much to say to do this topic justice, really, but I'll say a few things. First of all, the BMI is a joke. You've seen my pics. I'm considered overweight by the BMI. In fact, I could get to my ultimate dream weight and I'd still be considered overweight. I would also be considered thin.
Second, the shakes comment. I thought his comment was disgusting in the way it degraded "fat chicks". Now, I wish I'd called him out on it, but honestly, I rarely get into anything remotely serious on an OT thread, and this was one of many hot topics I wished I had commented on last week, but ignored.
Third, nobody worthy of one's time and attention would ever believe your that thinness translates to character. Perhaps, this gives obese people an easy way of weeding out a lot of asshats who will turn their efforts towards f*cking up a thin woman's life?
Fourth, for many body weight does matter greatly when developing physical attractions. Sorry, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with this. It is what it is. But that said, there are many people in the world, and people have different tastes. No matter what your size, there are people out there who will love it and find it attractive. The big thing is that *you* need to learn to accept it, too.
In my opinion, the best way to develop a sincere and lasting *physical* attraction to a person is to get to know who they are *inside* first.
It's never okay to bash someone because of their physical appearance.
MTW, I'm not saying that it's wrong not to be attracted to someone because he/she is large. What is wrong is to treat that person as if he/she is less than human, and does not deserve respect that is given to others. We all have our preferences as to what attracts us. That's life. I am not attracted to short guys. Even though I'm large, I'm not attracted to large guys. It wouldn't be a good thing if we were all attracted to the exact same type, otherwise, there would be a lot of men and women left out.
Hmm. I've been trying to figure out how to respond to this, and just can't. I guess I agree with everyone else here, and am also guilty of not standing up to people who make the fat jokes. I'm even guilty of making fat jokes (albeit about myself) which is really just adding to the problem, I guess.
Truthfully, I have very mixed feelings about all this, based on my own body perceptions. When you hate your own fat, it's hard to not hate fatness in general (or just think of it as a negative).
Oddly enough, though I've dealt with my own weight issues, I almost never notice weight on other people.
Watching Janelle (on BB) get called fat, over and over, makes me sick. THAT is what is so screwed up about society. "Normal" weights are now considered fat, and being "healthy" is getting harder and harder to achieve. For me, I no longer have the goal of getting "thin", and just want to aim for "normal" even though by many people's standards, that will still be considered fat. *sigh*
Yeah! What everyone else said. Except nutz and her math.. lol
I just wish I could jump in my way back machine and go back to the renessance (sp?) sometime. Those men had an appreciation for a woman who ate more than saltines and red bull.
The "ideal" weight for my height is 123 lbs. The lightest I've been as a full grown person is 128 lbs. and then, I was emaciated looking. I would be most comfortable somewhere between 150 and 160, which is totally healthy and healthy looking, but I'd still be considered overweight. Those calculators are a bunch of bull.
That first one was disgusting. That guy has all kinds of issues with women, not just weight. I can hardly believe that people can be so stupid. What an asshat.
I haven't been so sure how to respond. I'll mention that when I raised, my mom and her friends never commented about their weight or other people's weight. There were no fashion magazines in my house and my mom actually refused to let us have barbies (I had a slighly more solid "Cindy"), not that I wanted them anyhow.
Due to this, I grew up without body image issues (I had other issues with being a teenager, but weight wasn't one of them.) When I went to university I didn't have a scale. I ate less healthy and didn't notice I had gained weight until I weighed myself and was 25 pounds heavier or so. I shrugged and didn't really care.
When I got older, I got heavier and then I started changing my diet and exercising more. I could maintain my weight, but not really lose any. I didn't obsess, but I was less fit than I would like. A lot of things I enjoy (hiking, walking, boating, swimming etc) are more fun if you are in good shape.
I'd much rather be fit and unattractive than skinny and in bad health.
So I see being overweight as a sign of some neglect of self. Like drinking too much, driving without a seat belt, smoking heavily it damages your health, but more than that, it damages how you feel every moment of the day. When I am out of shape, I feel draggy and lazy. The stairs are much too long and the
If a person is happy and overweight (as fit as they want to be, able to do everything they want) then that is great. People who say Janelle (sadly I know who she is) is fat are beyond stupid.
However, if weight affect your health or happiness, it seems that one should do something about it. It is within a person's power to change their weight.
If they don't want to, they should tell the rest of the world to F.O. If you would rather eat cheesecake (mmmm cheesecake)than carrots and don't care about what it does to your health that is fine by me.
I have bad habits. I drink too much and work too much. But I'm not going to change that. I like my life even if isn't the healthiest, safest life one could live. It's my life.
Ok, I think that's enough rambling.
In conclusion: worrying about weight because of how you look=stupid.
Worryiong about your weight because of what you can do and your general health =sensible
Telling the rest of the world to STFU about which you choose=priceless
The seond blog was beautiful. Thank you for linking her. She is awesome and inspiring, as are you Arkie.
I make a solemn vow today to never, ever let another person tell me a fat joke, post a fat picture as a joke, or allow Shakes or anyone else to say hurtful horrible things like those you mentioned without challenging them.
29 comments:
Ok! The first one? The guy's is a compete and utter moron... PLUS!!! He can't add or do percents worth a shit! Anyone with half a brain knows that 99.02% + .08% does not add up to 100%! What happened to the other .09%??? Either use .02 or 2%, duh! {/math rant} Another thing! Ain't it funny how a bunch of the comments left are spam with a link to a phone sex line??? I would hope that if he calls them, he finds lovely large women on the other end! *grin*
The second one was, for me anyway, inspirational. The lady seems to accept who she is and makes no apologies to anyone for being herself. However, what is sad is the examples she points out that occur in life to women like her. It's a shame to me that this culture is defined by size and people aren't accepted as who they are. ...but I have to give kudos to her for putting herself out there!
So funny too because this is a timely post for me. Yesterday, I was playing around with a body mass index calculator. All you had to enter was your height and weight. For the record, I am 5 ft. 3 in. and weigh about 180 lbs. There was nothing else to enter. Not even a gender! Aren't men & women built differently?
At any rate, the thing told me I was obese! Now, I know I'm chubby and I could definitely stand to lose some weight, but I wear a size 12 or 14. I could even call myself pretty darned overweight, but obese? Makes me wonder how many people with a bad self image go use those things online and then feel even worse. I wonder what would happen if I put in 350 pounds. The thing would probably say I'm dead.
I don't think size matters anyway. ...and some people are just asshats about it.
OK, I'm rambling...
{{{hugs}}} & *smooches* for Arkie!
I agree, Nutz. The guy is so full of hate - he's directing it to BBW's on that post, but I took a look at a couple of his other posts, and dude hates women. He says he's in a relationship with a woman, but I find that hard to believe.
The second link is very inspirational to me. It takes such strength of character to learn to accept yourself, especially when your body type is one that is not accepted by society. People seem to feel like they have the right to downgrade someone large, as if large people are of some sub-class, and are less of a person than others who meet the "ideal" of physical beauty. I have to be honest, when I was a teenager, I was one of those people. I would make fun of people larger than me, even though I was not small by any means. And I got the whole "you would be cute if you lost weight" as a teenager. I think I've finally grown up in that aspect. No, I'm not going to find everyone attractive or beautiful, but I don't have the right to try to make them feel bad and say rude, hateful things to them because of that. I have been trying very hard to not make deragotory (sp?) comments based on physical appearance.
I found a BMI calculator - I'm morbidly obese. I find it hard to believe that you're considered obese, because supposedly obese is 100 lbs overweight. Even if you're only 5'3", 80 lbs seems unhealthy.
Correction - morbid obese is over 100 pounds, I'm not sure what the level is for just obese.
First one - you can tell the guy is just a jerk from almost his very first words. So I didn't read much of it because life is too short to waste reading stuff like that.
The second one was very lyrical & inspirationally written. I thought her photos were beautiful.
I have often thought it is so ironic that a person who is a dishonest, drug-addicted, child-abusing, self-centered moron - but thin - will always be considered at first glance as a more worthy person than a totally upstanding and kind overweight person.
Well, geez, Swami - it's because fat people are lazy. I can't believe you didn't know that.
I'm overweight according to the BMI thingie. I usually use the one over at the CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/index.htm
because it has a bit of info about gender and lifestyle. That is, if you have a lot of muscle, the BMI thingie isn't accurate for you.
Also, I feel bad for that first guy. Life can be hard on stupid people.
Seana, uh, what? I don't think I dissed anyone. I sure didn't mean to! I have no idea what my BMI is - I'm afraid to check it.
That first guy has some serious issues. I wouldn't let an asshat like that get to me. It says a lot more about him than anyone else. All of his posts are rather disgusting.
Swami: Sorry! You said that larger people were unfairly judged, so I was unfairly judging them. It was meant to be humour. Oops.
Yes, this guy is an asshat. But he's not the only one to feel that way, and to express those feelings. It happens all the time. It's like Swami said, people will automatically assume a thin person is someone a better quality person than a overweight person, for no other reason than their size.
Some people feel like bashing fat people is perfectly all right, that it's ok to make fun of them and say very rude and derogatory comments behind their back and to their face, because they must "choose" to be that way. Otherwise, they would get up off their fat lazy asses, and quit eating, and so on and so on. And when someone does bash a fat person, it's very rare to see someone step up and say something against it. I would direct you to one of the "Smooth" threads on OT for an example. Shakes gave advice to Smooth that he should go pick up some fat chick (also referred to as an oinker) and hate-fvck her and to continue to do this every night until he feels better. Like fat women deserve to be treated like dirt, or should be grateful for any attention, and so on. I know, shakes is an ass, but not one person said anything against his advice, and as a matter of fact, some people seemed to be endorsing it. (BTW, did anyone notice that the blogger is from Chicago - home of Shakes?? coincidence?) There have been pictures of overweight women posted on OT as "humor", and the only thing funny is that they're overweight - yeah, that's real funny. And again, I don't recall anyone ever saying that's not funny. Of course, I haven't either, and I really should. There was also an incident on one of the blogs, where someone made a comment that someone else should be made to spend hell with "nekkid fat people". So, spending time with overweight people is a punishment. And this person was commenting on the other person's lack of tolerance. But apparently, tolerance is not to be extended to fat people.
reading this is sort of an eye opener for me. I see straight people defending gay people all the time and I guess I'm sort of guilty of living in my box. Because I don't ever recall saying anything to anyone who makes a fat joke or reference. perhaps I will be more conscious of it next time. Hugs*
Okay, I haven't been to either blog site yet, not have I read the comments beyond the first paragraph of Nutzy's.
I'm just here to laugh at Nutzy's MISTAKEN rant about the guy not being able to add, and hoping Nutzy just can't type! Bwahahahahaha! :D
99.02% + .08% = 99.10%. If you add .09% you end up with 99.19%. To get to 100% you would need to add .90%, not .09%. And? She's a MATH professor!!!
Bwahahahaha!!
MTW <-- can't stop laughing! :D
Well, I looked at both blogs, and have some things to say, but now I feel like a half-brained idiot because all the math talk has completely befuddled me.
I'll definitely come back and make my comments, later.
Okay, now that I'm done laughing at Nutzy I can comment seriously. I still haven't read either blog, but really doubt it's necessary.
There's too much to say to do this topic justice, really, but I'll say a few things. First of all, the BMI is a joke. You've seen my pics. I'm considered overweight by the BMI. In fact, I could get to my ultimate dream weight and I'd still be considered overweight. I would also be considered thin.
Second, the shakes comment. I thought his comment was disgusting in the way it degraded "fat chicks". Now, I wish I'd called him out on it, but honestly, I rarely get into anything remotely serious on an OT thread, and this was one of many hot topics I wished I had commented on last week, but ignored.
Third, nobody worthy of one's time and attention would ever believe your that thinness translates to character. Perhaps, this gives obese people an easy way of weeding out a lot of asshats who will turn their efforts towards f*cking up a thin woman's life?
Fourth, for many body weight does matter greatly when developing physical attractions. Sorry, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with this. It is what it is. But that said, there are many people in the world, and people have different tastes. No matter what your size, there are people out there who will love it and find it attractive. The big thing is that *you* need to learn to accept it, too.
In my opinion, the best way to develop a sincere and lasting *physical* attraction to a person is to get to know who they are *inside* first.
It's never okay to bash someone because of their physical appearance.
MTW, I'm not saying that it's wrong not to be attracted to someone because he/she is large. What is wrong is to treat that person as if he/she is less than human, and does not deserve respect that is given to others. We all have our preferences as to what attracts us. That's life. I am not attracted to short guys. Even though I'm large, I'm not attracted to large guys. It wouldn't be a good thing if we were all attracted to the exact same type, otherwise, there would be a lot of men and women left out.
Hmm. I've been trying to figure out how to respond to this, and just can't. I guess I agree with everyone else here, and am also guilty of not standing up to people who make the fat jokes. I'm even guilty of making fat jokes (albeit about myself) which is really just adding to the problem, I guess.
Truthfully, I have very mixed feelings about all this, based on my own body perceptions. When you hate your own fat, it's hard to not hate fatness in general (or just think of it as a negative).
Oddly enough, though I've dealt with my own weight issues, I almost never notice weight on other people.
Watching Janelle (on BB) get called fat, over and over, makes me sick. THAT is what is so screwed up about society. "Normal" weights are now considered fat, and being "healthy" is getting harder and harder to achieve. For me, I no longer have the goal of getting "thin", and just want to aim for "normal" even though by many people's standards, that will still be considered fat. *sigh*
*points up*
Yeah! What everyone else said. Except nutz and her math.. lol
I just wish I could jump in my way back machine and go back to the renessance (sp?) sometime. Those men had an appreciation for a woman who ate more than saltines and red bull.
The "ideal" weight for my height is 123 lbs. The lightest I've been as a full grown person is 128 lbs. and then, I was emaciated looking. I would be most comfortable somewhere between 150 and 160, which is totally healthy and healthy looking, but I'd still be considered overweight. Those calculators are a bunch of bull.
*whacks MTW & Rose*
*storms her obese ass out of the blog*
Damn, I need to lose about 40lbs.
*what's new?*
That woman is beautiful and insightful.
That man is a dumbass.
I wish I wouldn't have read this at work. Heh.
I don't know what to say right now.
*hugs* Arkie.
Ok. I know what to say now.
Ditto MM. :) (Except for that part about having dealt with my own weight issues. Oh, and the part about Janelle on BB. I don't watch BB. Heh.)
That first one was disgusting. That guy has all kinds of issues with women, not just weight. I can hardly believe that people can be so stupid. What an asshat.
I love women for many reasons. You probably all know that by now.
I think women can be attractive in all shapes and sizes. The character of a woman definitely changes how I perceive her appearance.
Women can also be unattractive in all shapes and sizes, too.
I haven't been so sure how to respond. I'll mention that when I raised, my mom and her friends never commented about their weight or other people's weight. There were no fashion magazines in my house and my mom actually refused to let us have barbies (I had a slighly more solid "Cindy"), not that I wanted them anyhow.
Due to this, I grew up without body image issues (I had other issues with being a teenager, but weight wasn't one of them.) When I went to university I didn't have a scale. I ate less healthy and didn't notice I had gained weight until I weighed myself and was 25 pounds heavier or so. I shrugged and didn't really care.
When I got older, I got heavier and then I started changing my diet and exercising more. I could maintain my weight, but not really lose any. I didn't obsess, but I was less fit than I would like. A lot of things I enjoy (hiking, walking, boating, swimming etc) are more fun if you are in good shape.
I'd much rather be fit and unattractive than skinny and in bad health.
So I see being overweight as a sign of some neglect of self. Like drinking too much, driving without a seat belt, smoking heavily it damages your health, but more than that, it damages how you feel every moment of the day. When I am out of shape, I feel draggy and lazy. The stairs are much too long and the
work calls-to be continued
I have nothing to contribute here, except *smooches* to all the hot women in this blog.
Blabbing some more...
If a person is happy and overweight (as fit as they want to be, able to do everything they want) then that is great. People who say Janelle (sadly I know who she is) is fat are beyond stupid.
However, if weight affect your health or happiness, it seems that one should do something about it. It is within a person's power to change their weight.
If they don't want to, they should tell the rest of the world to F.O. If you would rather eat cheesecake (mmmm cheesecake)than carrots and don't care about what it does to your health that is fine by me.
I have bad habits. I drink too much and work too much. But I'm not going to change that. I like my life even if isn't the healthiest, safest life one could live. It's my life.
Ok, I think that's enough rambling.
In conclusion: worrying about weight because of how you look=stupid.
Worryiong about your weight because of what you can do and your general health =sensible
Telling the rest of the world to STFU about which you choose=priceless
Telling the rest of the world to STFU about which you choose=priceless
*snort*
I totally agree, Bob!
I love you bunches and bunches, Arkie.
That guy is a loser beyond words. He's pathetic.
The seond blog was beautiful. Thank you for linking her. She is awesome and inspiring, as are you Arkie.
I make a solemn vow today to never, ever let another person tell me a fat joke, post a fat picture as a joke, or allow Shakes or anyone else to say hurtful horrible things like those you mentioned without challenging them.
*hugs*
Augie, that really means a lot to me. Thank you.
*smooch*
Post a Comment