Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Confessions of a dork

This is one of my favorite times of the year. Why? Because it's getting close to the holidays. And that means that the stores are putting out their holiday merchandise, which includes all kinds of animated singing and dancing "things". I LOVE those things. A ghost that circles back and forth while singing "I Want Candy"? I love it! A turkey that moves up and down while singing "The Chicken Dance"? Too cute!!! A candy dish in the shape of a large spell book that has a cackling laugh or a couple of phrases everytime you open it? I bought 3 of them last year. I can't help myself. I will go up and down the aisles of the store, and turn on every last one of those things, and just sit there and watch them and laugh. I am also fascinated by the items that have the fiber optic lights. I could just watch those for hours.

----------------------------------------------

I love greeting cards. I will stand in that section of the store for 20 minutes, just reading the different cards. I love sending cards to people for no reason, just to say hi, or because I thought the card was funny, and thought the other person might enjoy it, too.

----------------------------------------------

I'm a sucker for gadgets. That's why I don't watch infomercials. I would be buying all that stuff all the time. It's a good thing I don't know anyone who has tupperware parties or other things like that, because I just have to have that stuff if I see it. It's a sickness. It really is.

14 comments:

Breezy said...

I have that big spell book! I love it. *evil cackle*

mm said...

I love greeting cards, too. There are so many cute, clever ones, it's hard not to buy them "just in case" you ever need them. LOL.

arkie said...

Breezy, I loved the spell book, too. That is, until I brought it to the office and one of my co-workers would open and close the lid repeatedly everytime she got up and walked past it. This year, my book stays home.

MM, I've actually bought some of the cards just to keep for myself because I thought they were so funny.

~Nutz said...

I *heart* Halloween the mostest!!! I wish i nad the time and energy during October to decorate my house to the hilt! Last year, I never had time to do one iota of decorations. I have a feeling it will be nuch the same this year, what with Nutzboy's football and my six classes. *pout*

Hey! You wanna come here and do it for me?

I can spend hours reading greeting cards, but only do it if I'm actually looking for something specific.

~Nutz said...

i nad = I had

*grin*

Schnookie said...

I saw that ghost thingie at Hallmark. They had it at the cash. Was really cute and made me smile.

You must have seen the latest thing. Those musical cards at Hallmark. There are tons of them. I listened to a few of them. Boy, are they loud. Funny though.

Swami said...

I love the talking/cackling and lighted Halloween stuff and I set them all off when I go down the aisle too. Mostly, I don't buy them - but every now and then I do. I am a sucker for large, articulated skeletons. I have 5 of them I think.

I'm not so big on cards.

Bravie said...

Girl, we share some illnesses. I have so many fucking infomercial thingies that I never use, it isn't even funny. Michelle just rolls hers eyes and yells at me. I let her yell and then I buy it anyhow. *hops*

Don't buy the table top clothes washer. The one that also dries clean on your countertop. Bad product.

arkie said...

Nutz? "nuch the same"??? LOL that you corrected "nad" but not "nuch"! *packs up car to come decorate Nutz's house*

Nookie, not only have I seen those cards, I've bought a few already. *grin*

Swami, I want a skeleton to use for my decorations. But I'm too cheap to buy the really good looking ones, and I'm not getting one of those cheap plastic tacky ones.

Carey, the really strange thing is I buy all these kitchen thingies, but I never cook. I have one of those sandwich-pocket maker thingies. *remembers an episode of Designing Women that had one of those on it.*

Bravie said...

Oh fer heck. The kitchen gadgets are the absolute worst for me. that's when Michelle really gets the eyes rolling. There is no room in my pantry fro canned foods because of all of the kitchen gadget thingies that I have. LOL

Lasann said...

I love Halloween also. When the boys were younger I collected the bucket thingies from McDonalds (pumpkin, witch, etc.) One year I put sand in them (25 or so) and a candle and lit my driveway. Now I have boxes of decorations and don't even get them out.

I come across cards I bought so long ago that they've turned grey/brown. One I bought way long ago said: So tell me . . . . .
Who's fucking who? That was way before everyone said the word!

I want the MagicBullet. Anyone have it. I got my Dbf to watch the info mercial and he was intriged (sp) also. Everytime we see it I say, "Give me the phone - now". I'm hoping he'll buy it.

Aislinn Sirk said...

You are all hiding from me! This totally was not here yesterday.

Aislinn Sirk said...

Also, yes, are a dork

arkie said...

Bob: Geek. *sticks tongue out*

Lasann, I've heard of the MagicBullet, but don't remember what it is. I keep thinking people are talking about a small vibrator.