Because I was feeling guilty about Cappy staying shut up in the little bathroom all day, and all night, and only getting out for a short time in the evenings, I decided last night to take her upstairs with me. I go into the bedroom, shut the door, take her into the bathroom with me, and put her down. As I'm getting ready for bed, she's exploring my bathroom. I leave the light on in the second half of the room, leave the door cracked, and go to bed. After laying there for a couple of minutes, I hear Cappy meow a couple of times - it's that "I'm lonely and I need something" meow. I get up, go in the bathroom and don't see her. (Note to self: expand on the disappearing cat bit later) She meows again, and I discover she's already in the bedroom. I go back in there, and she ducks under the bed. OK, fine, stay there. Turn off the light, get back in bed, and she gives me that same meow again within a minute. Get back up, turn on the light, and see her at the foot of the bed. Pick her up, put her on the bed, off with the lights, and lay down. For the next three hours, I was pounced on constantly. She kept batting at me, and jumping all over the bed. After she kept pricking me on the legs (to declaw or not?), I finally pulled the sheet over me for some protection. HA! She crawled under the sheet so she could continue attacking my bare legs. Finally, at 2:30, I took her back downstairs and put her back in that bathroom so I could actually sleep. Then my son decides to wake me up at 6:30.
Remind me again why I ever thought having anything living in the house with me was a good idea? (Child or cat, your choice)
The disappearing cat: I had mentioned on OT how, on the first night, she "disappeared", and we couldn't find her, until finally I found her behind the dryer. Last night, I had let her out of the bathroom so she could start to learn the house. She went upstairs, and had hid in the closet in Clint's bathroom. I got her out of there, and then shut all the doors upstairs. I really didn't think she would start exploring the WHOLE house that quickly. She hung out on the stairs for a while. I wasn't really concerned about her whereabouts for a while. Then I decided to look for her. (I had also blocked off the entry to the laundry room.) Couldn't find her at all. Clint was asleep on the loveseat, so I didn't really look over in that area very much. After about an hour, Clint woke up and discovered that she was on the love seat with him. She starts exploring again, and next thing I know, she's found out that there is a gap between my stove and the baseboard thingy. I was not aware of this. It took a long time to coax her out from there.

12 comments:
LOL. Sorry. I don't mean to alugh. But I do remember the days of my babie being kittens. We went through all of this as well. We found interesting ways of blocking off gaps all over the house.
Don't declaw. Please, please, please. Find a way to teach her not to use her claws. Purty purty please.
Eventually, she is going to learn the house and all will be good. *smooch*
No, I really don't want to get her declawed. I know that's not really good for the cat. But when she was pouncing on me last night, and pricking me each time, and then decided to pounce and grab my face, I really did consider it then.
I lvoed this story; I even read it to Mr. Puffy so he could get a good laugh.
It all sounds so familiar. Now you know why we kept our cats in the bathroom at night for YEARS! It took quite a bit of time to get used to this new (4 years) cat, sleeping with us.
Arkie, this stage won't last forever. We blocked off the area behind the dresser and behind the fridge with either a kleenex box or a piece of wood. We also blocked off the area under the headboard of my kid's bed. You'll learn to keep doors closed and toilet seat covers down. ALWAYS know where the cat is when you leave the house. She may be in a closet.
Kittens don't know to hide their claws. As they grow older, they won't scratch as much. We cut our cat's claws about once a month. I used to use a toenail clipper. Now I use a special cat claw clipper. Either cut her claws or go to Petsmart or Petco and they can cut them for you, safely. The vet charges a lot of money for it. I paid $8 at Petsmart.
Hang in there! How is she at using the litter box?
I've always maintained that if kittens weren't THAT cute, they'd all be murdered before they were full grown. And everytime she makes you laugh, bank it, because you'll need those memories everytime you want to drop kick her (umm, not that *I* ever wanted to do that to a kitten)...
It's almost like having another baby, but they do grow out of it much faster. Hang in there!
Puffy, she's doing really good with the litter box.
We picked up a couple of toys for her at the grocery store this afternoon. She is having a ball with the fish on a pole right now. *LOL*
My cat likes to play with the styrofoam peanuts from packing boxes and with the pull tabs from the tops of water/milk bottles.
We have spent $4.5 million on cat toys. Their favorite ones? Balled up aluminum foil. Shoestrings. Christmas ornaments. Bare toes. *shakes head*
Ohhh, but one toy that I highly recommend and will provide hours of entertainment for both you and the cat...laser pointers. All I have to do is get the laser light going back and forth across the living room and they will chase that light FOREVER. I get them dizzy when I get them to run in circles. Great fun for all. :)
Yeah, Bravie, so far, even though she enjoys the fish on the pole, she also loves Clint's shoes, a knee high, and my hair.
I was telling my son about Blade's interest in your feet and legs while in bed. We had a good laugh remembering those days with Smokey.
I remember all those kitty scratches. Yikes! Especially when the kitten decides to run up from behind and "climb" your body. Ow, ow ow.
We blocked off behind the dryer and one other wierd little space but otherwise just let her go explore. We did keep her food dish in a very central location for a while so she always had a centering spot. I never locked her in a bathroom.
After that we always had an older cat. When we got a new kitten Robin just did whatever Batman did - so no problem.
I don't like to sleep with pets. The bedroom is the one off-limits space in the house.
Thank you all for the laughs! It has been 19 years since I had a real kitten. Now I remember why.
I echo the "don't get her declawed" comments. I've trained my cats to use a scratching post. Whenever they scratched anything that wasn't supposed to be scratched we gently moved them to the scratching post, and when they scratched there, gave lots of positive reinforcement. Probably more info than you need for a kitten, but wth.
OH, and my 9-10 year old cat just discovered the sleeping on my head phenomenon.
Start clipping toenails now, so she gets used to it and will let you do it her whole life. My current ones were already too old to learn to accept that. Start with rubbing her pads with your fingers, extending her claws. She'll get used to that.
Gotta love kittens! Well, the good news is, another year or so and it will get better. :-)
Post a Comment