I had made a comment about being OCD in Seana's blog when I offered to loan her some books. I really get anal about my books. Actually, it's anything that comes in a set or series. I cannot stand when a glass or plate from a set gets broke. It bothers me to the point that I will go buy another set, and never use the incomplete set again. For a while, I was this way about my flatware, too. I would actually count the spoons and forks when putting them away after washing them. If one was missing, I would not do anything else until I found the missing item.
When I find an author or recording artist that I enjoy, I usually end up buying all of their works. Even if some are not to my taste. And in the case of books, they all have to be either hard cover or paperback copies. Right now, I have the complete works of Carol O'Connell, and it is driving me crazy that my copy of her latest book is hard cover, and the rest are paperback. I couldn't wait to read the book until they released the paperback version. It is out in paperback now, and I will be buying it. Also, the second most recent one, I have in both paperback and hard cover. I will be giving away the two hard cover copies. Otherwise, I will be tempted to get all of her novels in the hard cover. It really bothers me that my copies of the first two Harry Potter novels are paperback and the rest are hard cover.
I try to keep my paperbacks sorted by genre and alphabetically by author, then by release date. I have run out of room where I store them, and now they are all stacked up in no kind of order. This bugs me. I think I have found some shelving solution at Wal-Mart (that's right, I shop at Wal-Mart, and I am not ashamed!). I can't decide if I want to buy the item I found, because while it will work, it's not really what I want. So, do I spend the money on this, or wait until I find and can afford, what I really want? (Which is a bookcase or two - preferably a rustic, southwestern look to them.)
Way back, when I was a teenager and until shortly after I got married, I had a massive collection of albums. I kept them sorted by genre, artist and release date, too. I also maintained a list. I didn't have a computer back then, so I had to use a manual typewriter to keep this list. So, every so often I would have to re-type it. And then if I found that I omitted one record, or didn't have it in the right location on the list, I would start all over.
It manifests itself when I do laundry or dishes, too. It really makes me crazy for me to spend my time cleaning, getting all the dishes done, and then someone come in and get a glass and get a drink. When I'm doing laundry, I will go put on my nightclothes, so I can wash whatever I was wearing, so that ALL the clothes are clean. I think that's part of why I don't clean my house that often, because if it can't be 100% spotless, it bugs me. It's either all or nothing. If I'm going to clean, then everything has to be clean. Otherwise, I won't do any.
Once I start organizing something, it all has to be just so. When I worked in medical records at the nursing home, all the papers had to be lined up just so in the file. They had to be straight, and you had to be able to see the label of each file.

15 comments:
That was a very enlightening post Arkie. I can see how some facets of your OCD actually help you quite a bit in your organization. I am not sure what to say about anything else or if anything needs to be said, it sounds like you've got it under control for the most part. Oh and I read the posts about Arkieboy. That's awesome. Hope that we'll get a chance to meet you soon. T will be here after Christmas and we'd love to have you down.
Wow, I can relate to so much of what you've said here, Arkie. My worst manifestation of OCD is with numbers. When my Doctor told me he needed to schedule my C-section on the 9th, I cried and begged him to change it. He changed another surgery and made mine on the 10th. *whew* Crisis averted.
I think as long as it doesn't affect your ability to function normally, it's okay. Can even be helpful, like Slim said.
*smooches*
(don't look now, but I think I might have accidentally left with one of your spoons)
I almost wish I had some OCD in me. I am so disorganized and don't really care. I mean I care when the house is a mess but I can easily forget about it.
Dear Arkie,
Please come visit my house and sort out my bedroom and the closets. We will eat at restaurants the entire time you visit, so we don't need to open any kitchen cupboards.
Love
Bob
Freak.
*smooch*
The laundry thing, I do. When I start doing laundry, for the entire week, I change into my nightclothes. That way everything will be clean. I am the same way when I clean my house. I put on my nightclothes, so that after I do my laundry and cleaning, I can take a bath and be fresh too.
*smooch*
I thought this was being anal? LOL! I totally understand.
Organization is really good. I go through spurts with this. I get the urge and need everything in its place. Then I think, what the heck I am doing and will stop. I am not OCD but get those moments of madness.
Oooh! I can be a bit over-organised too. We all have our little quirks. I only have paperbacks. I once was torn about buying a hardcover of a series because it was cheaper than the paperback. I didnt' get it because:
1. All the others are PB.
2. I'd have to go and get the HC for all the others, and I'm sure I woulnd't be able to find them all.
My shopping list is organised by type of item (produce, meat, dairy) and store layout. I think that's good, so I don't miss something. I also keep my original list in Excel, with prices and whether that item gets PST, GST, both or neither, so that I have a very good idea how much money I'll be spending. You can't always make the best guess with items by the pound, but I'm pretty accurate.
Sorry to drone on. I think you're prety normal, actually.
P.S. I once woke up to DS standing beside my bed looking down. I had heard an odd noise. It was him, peeing on the book for my cake decorating class. That was fun explaining why I needed another.
So, in answer to your question on my blog. Either kids or cats might pee on your book. :D
J/K It was just the once.
I think I'm anal at times about the laundry thing. I've stopped it of late but my mom used to comment about how I was the only person she knew that would fold his dirty clothes before washing them. Now I have two piles.
The one in the hamper is dirty and the one around the basket and the floor adjoining it are clean. :-P
I'm such a guy.
I am with Nutz on this one...I wish I had some OCD in me sometimes.
I'm almost afraid to ask what OCD is an anacryonym for, for you Docs *grin*
Arkie, you are doing a good job of making me feel superior by comparison! Thanks, and keep up the good work. :-)
I am so glad to learn that I'm not the only one who obsesses on some of this stuff. Oh, and Jen? I may be a freak, but at least I'm not a twitchy-eye freak. *grin* *smooch*
Post a Comment