Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Death, and a little bit of religion

This is one of those posts that I'm not sure why I feel the need to share this. Maybe I want to know if I'm truly some kind of pyschopath or someone who has no deep emotions. But it's how I feel. This is me, like it or not.

Sometimes, I feel like I am the only person who thinks and feels the way I do about some things. I have never come across anyone who expresses the same view about death as I do.

When people find out someone has cancer or some other fatal disease, and go on about it being a death sentence, I just don't feel the same. I mean, the person was dying anyway. We are all dying from the moment our life begins. I don't know why people let death surprise them. You have to know it's going to happen anyway.

I don't cry when people die, either. Sometimes I think I must be an iceberg inside. But I just don't have tears in that instance, normally. When I was younger, I would think of other things to make me cry at a relative's funeral. People assume you must not care if you don't cry. One thing I don't understand is when people who are Christian talk about how tragic it is when someone else (who they say is Christian) dies. If they are a Christian, then based on the Christian beliefs, aren't they now in heaven? How can that be tragic?

Years ago, when I was still working at the nursing home in Sheridan, there had been a horrible car wreck, and a man was killed. The receptionist and the activity director were talking about how sad it was, and the AD says, "and for it to happen to a good Christian man!" OK, back on Christian beliefs... a Christian dies and goes to heaven. A non-Christian goes to hell. So, thinking that it's worse that a Christian died instead of a non-saved person? Isn't that a rather non-Christian view point? I mean, wouldn't it be better for someone to have the chance to become a Christian instead of dying and burning in hell forever, if that is your personal beliefs of what happens? I had other differences with the activity director and her judgment of how others were good Christians or not. At Christmas time, several of the churches would ask to adopt some of the residents to make sure they received presents, etc, and weren't forgotten. One of the larger churches had not contacted her to do this that year, and she was making disparaging remarks about how "they call themselves Christians". I made the observation that perhaps God was leading them to help some of his other children. Heh. She didn't speak to me again for a couple of days.

I believe that death does not suddenly change the way a person was while alive. If they were an asshole while living, they do not become a saint in my eyes just because they are dead.

I find it hard to get upset over the deaths of people I either don't know, or really have no attachment to. I also find it suspect when others become so distraught in these cases. (I know, rather judgmental on my part - but then, they are also judging me in the same instance, and declaring me to be a cold-hearted non-feeling bitch.)
Two examples: When I worked as a nurse's aide back in '87, there was this one woman who would be so devastated everytime one of the residents passed away, that she couldn't finish her shift and would go home. Because she cared soooo much about the residents. Even the ones who had just entered the facility 3 days before, and that she hadn't even worked with before they passed. I always thought if she cared so much, why didn't she suck it up, and take care of the other residents that still needed her? I thought it was really very selfish on her part. I also couldn't believe that she got away with it all the time.
Second example: When working in the regional office, there was this one woman in the operations side that no one in the financial department liked. Everyone despised this woman. A couple of us had met her husband on one occasion, but the rest of us never did. He died in a car wreck. That day, most of the operations people were out of the office, and there was only five or six of us in the office. Three of them were so overcome and distraught about the death of this man that they didn't know, that they had to leave work immediately. My supervisor had asked if I needed to go home. I rather rudely asked why would I? I'm sorry, it was sad, it was tragic, but I didn't even know the man. Why would I be unable to work? *shrugs*

9 comments:

mm said...

First of all, you can and should share anything you want here, regardless if some people will understand it or even agree with it.

Reading this was really interesting to me because I just had this conversation over the weekend with my mother (who is highly emotional). I have cousins who think I have no emotions, or feelings, because my world didn't stop when our grandparents died.

I think you are obviously a deep thinker, and you have raised some very good questions. Death (and our ability to deal with it) is such a personal thing, I truly do not believe there is a right or wrong here. I do tend to feel more like you do, but I know that everyone handles things differently. My theory, for myself, is that I hate feeling pain so much that I tend to rationalize everything to the point of making it go away. Overthinking it, I guess. Others just react to the raw emotion. *shrug* I think we should stick to whatever works for us.

I *know* you have a heart and care about people, arkie. Never let what others expect make you feel inadequate.

{{hugs}}

Bravie said...

People handle and deal with death differently. Not any way is right or wrong. We all do what is right for us. *smooch*

~Nutz said...

You bring up many valid points, arkie and I agree with a bunch of it.

What *boggles* my mind is how someone so emotional could work in a place like a nursing home or whatever. I think you have to be detached from these things if it is around you all the time. It's a form of self-preservation.

I wasn't all emotional and stunned when my father or grandmother died. They were old and I knew it would happen! Grandma was 91! She led a good and happy life for 90 years before she got sick. Dad was 74 and had multiple heart attacks during his life. We were lucky he survived a bunch of them so we could have him longer. On the day of my dad's funeral, I went in to work for the morning. Why should I miss the entire day when the service was at 1 pm?

The times when I do get emotional though are when it is someone very young and it is very unexpected or even preventable.

~Nutz said...

Oh and as Boo said... When my father-in-law passed away, I felt relief! Hubby never got along too well and the man was an old curmudgeon! Of course, hubby was sad, but that was his dad.

Aislinn Sirk said...

I never feel bad when I blow people up into little pieces of charred ruin either.

Coco said...

She doesn't. But she cries when Old Yeller dies, every time.

Seriously, I think that what you say is very valid, both because everyone has a right to their point of view and yours is obviously well-thought-out and because I agree with a lot of your post.

I have to go and pick up Dominic now, but I will try and get back later if I'm still not here. :D

volsfan said...

Arkie, I cry at the drop of a hat so I guess we see things differently. However, that doesn't change the way I feel about you at all and I don't think you are cold.

I don't ever feel bad for the person that died because I think they are in a better place than this place can be sometimes. However, I do feel sorry for the whole in families that the ones left have to go through.

I had an uncle die last February and I didn't feel sorry for him because he had suffered. But seeing my cousins suffered made me feel sorry for them.

{{{HUGS}}}

arkie said...

MM: thanks. What you said really means a lot to me.

Carey: You're right. (Damn, it sure does seem like I say that a lot.) It's just sometimes I feel like out of all the people I know, I'm the different one.

Boo: Thanks. *smooch*

Nutz: Exactly. If you can't detach yourself any better than that, I think it would just destroy you on the inside to work in a field where death is so much of an everyday occurrence.

Bob: *snort*

Coco: Thanks, and give that sweetie a *smooch* for me. (And I cry at Old Yeller, too.)

vols: It's not that I don't cry, I just don't cry at funerals. Sometimes, I cry over some of the weirdest crap. And some pretty shallow stuff, too. I also cry when I get angry. And I do have sympathy for the deceased's family.

Bravie said...

There's nothing wrong with being different. We're all different in our own ways and there really is no normal. I wouldn't want to be anything but different. Different in all of my good and bad ways. *smooch*