Wednesday, November 23, 2005

*sob* My reputation is ruined!

I just cannot believe this...
I work with a group of people that will eat ANY.THING! Or at least that's what I have always thought. But today it was discovered that there is actually something they won't eat. And as it turns out, I'm the one who prepared that.which.won't.be.eaten. LOL!

Our department decided to have a mini-potluck today, and just have finger foods and snacks to nosh on all day. I decided that I would experiment with a recipe and try to make it low-fat and sugar free. I also made it tasteless. *grin* I don't know if any of you have ever had no-bake oatmeal cookies (also called boiled cookies or chocolate crunches, etc), but this is something that I have and enjoyed all my life. It's sugar, milk (evaporated works best), and butter, brought to a boil and poured over oats, peanut butter, cocoa and vanilla, then dropped on wax paper or buttered plates. And? it is delicious! Well, as I said, I decided to try to make it more "diet" friendly. So I substituted fat-free evaporated milk, reduced fat peanut butter, and Splenda (which is supposed to be able to replace sugar measure for measure). I also made a batch of it the regular way, and took both in. I knew the diet version was not going to be great, because the splenda/milk mixture didn't seem to produce as much liquid as the sugar/milk mixture does, and it was difficult to make sure all the oats and cocoa was moistened. I didn't care for the taste, but I made my co-workers try them, too. We decided if it was too gross, we would just take that batch to the upstairs breakroom. J didn't care for it, M doesn't eat oatmeal cookies anyway and wouldn't try it, and T said she thought it was good. After we had been munching a while, we decided to invite some of the other departments over, because we had way too much food, anyway. B & D, a couple of the IT guys, came over and fixed themselves a plate. I noticed that B had gotten into the diet cookies. So I went to ask him what he thought. He gets this funny look on his face, and says they were all right. So I told him about trying the sugar-free, low fat route, and then he says that he didn't realize it was low-fat and when he bit into it, his first thought was that he had had better. Anyway, I decide to take those upstairs, and so I snuck them up there. I really did not want everyone to know that I had made those. A little while later, D - one of the accountants comes by, and gets one of the good cookies. We tell her about the others, and she says she will try them when she goes back upstairs. After lunch, she comes back by our department. Someone asked if she tried them, and what she thought. She makes a face, and just says, well... I start laughing. Then she says that she had been encouraging everyone upstairs to try them, and telling them that I was the one who made them. OMG! I tell her she wasn't supposed to tell anyone that I made them! Then I say, well, I've got to take the good cookies upstairs to save my reputation! I can't have them thinking I can't make good cookies!

Oh, the shame and humiliation! These people are like human garbage disposals, and will eat almost anything put in the break room, but they drew the line at my diet cookies! *sob*

12 comments:

~Nutz said...

OMG! Is it bad that I laughed my head off at your story? You're reputation will only be ruined if you choose to bring those cookies in again! LOL!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, arkie! *smooch*

Bravie said...

Eh, I think all of us have had our cooking disasters. Bring in something super yummy next time and save yourself from being "that lady who makes nasty cookies"
*smooch*

Jen said...

Diet cookies are never good. It's just a fact. I'm sure that everyone who knows they were diet realizes that it had nothing to do with your baking skills.

*kicks* Arkie for being healthy.

arkie said...

Nutz, I was lmao the whole time. I had warned the women in my department that I would be experimenting on them. And we always joke that the bad stuff will just be put in the break room, because after all, SOMEONE will eat it. No matter how bad. It's just so funny that I finally found the limit to what they will eat.

arkie said...

Oh, and I really wasn't happy about having to take the good stuff upstairs to prove that I still have the skills that they have all known and come to trust. We weren't going to share the good food with them. *evil grin*

mm said...

I was LMAO, too, Arkie. Although truthfully, I admire you for experimenting in the first place. I would have bought the damn cookies from the store.

*smooch*

Coco said...

splenda = evil

Aislinn Sirk said...

Give them to grad students. Grad students really do eat eat anything.

Coco said...

I had forgotten about this today. I might have to make some of those cookies (not the diet kind) tonight, just for a little snack.

Like I really need it after the timbits, but eh.

Rose said...

LOL! I can feel your embarrassment!

My worst dish ever? Mussel Stew. blech.

Monstah said...

Cookie is such a cute word. Really. It is one of my favorite words.

And Ahkie? You realize you deserve a *whompah* for making diet cookies?

arkie said...

*hangs head in shame*

I know, Monsty. I promise I will NEVER do it again.