Thursday, October 18, 2007

Work

I keep going back and forth in my mind if I should try for a change. I've been with this company for 20 years. I enjoy my job, and I'm damn good at it. I make good money, have good insurance, 4 weeks of vacation, a great boss. I just got my annual review. It went very well. So why would I want to change? I intensely dislike the others in my department. I know I'm there to do a job, not make friends. But, you know, when the sheer idiocy of others makes you want to scream and throw something at them, it's hard to maintain a semblance of professionalism. Those two just make me want to puke. I know that one of these days, the comments made under my breath are not going to be made as quietly as they should.

But I am excited about my job and one of my new "projects" that came from the annual review. It's going to be more work and more responsibility, but it should really help improve cash flow, and maybe, just maybe, I'll finally meet the goal we set of collecting 95% the following month.

12 comments:

Bravie said...

Honestly? All of that good, outweighs the bad. And the truth is that there are idiots in every single place where you will work, I work with one of the biggest idiots ever created. I've worked in a few places and each one had their own unique moronic idiot.
That's just my two cents.

Plus, when you are as brilliant as we are, it's tough to find intellectual peers anywhere. *giggle*
Could you please get me your SSN? I need that information please. *evil grin*

arkie said...

OK, here's my NPI. 1234567890. That is what you wanted, right?

On last years' review, I had told my boss that I thought one of my weaknesses was my inability to communicate effectively. This year, I told her I had decided it was them, not me. I think that email I showed you proves my point.

Hell, I even do print screens for some of my instructions and draw arrows, etc all over them, and they still don't do it right. It's not me.

arkie said...

Oh, I also told my boss that I have no weaknesses, that I'm perfect. And my greatest strength is that I'm perfect.

Asrai said...

I wuv you, Ahkie! Just thought I'd share that...in case you forgot!

Bravie said...

*snort*
You could always hire Nookie as your assistant to do graphs and stuff.

MM said...

Being unhappy with your coworkers can be a big deal. Be careful not to let your feelings out if you're going to stay. My DB is dealing with unbelievable crap from his coworkers because of personality conflicts (and the fact that he contacted HR to get help) and now he wants to quit. :(

Is there no other department to transfer to? And maybe the new work load will keep you busier and away from the idiots?

Puffy said...

More vacations in store with that extra cash flow?

~Nutz said...

I agree with Bravie. No matter where you go there will be azzhats.

arkie said...

mm - unfortunately, no, there is no other department to transfer. I have become so specialized in what I do, that I can't transfer. And I'm not able to avoid the idiots that much for a couple of reasons. One, the way our office is set up, I hear them all damn day. Two, I'm also a resource for them. If they have questions about the system, they ask me because I have forgotten more than they will ever know. (I'm so arrogant sometimes. *grin*) But seriously, because of how long I've been there, I do know a lot more about how the software works.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Bravie too. At the moment, your good does outweigh your bad.

There are idiots everywhere. One of my biggest fears about going somewhere else is the idiots. But at least they will be new idiots.

4 weeks of vacation is a biggie to give up. I'm two years away from 4 weeks, which makes my decision in that regard somewhat easier.

momma said...

I'm just going to nod my head and agree with Bravie and Boo. They are smart.

If it helps, I'm 2 years away from 3 weeks of vacation and I have shitty insurance AND idiots. *sigh* Remind me again why I like my job...*grin*

Paul said...

Whatever you do, don't act hastily. I would really like to do so with my current job (I like it, but it doesn't pay the bills), but I gotta trust the process and keep on searching, not settling for less.

P.S. I relied to your query on my blog.

P.P.S. Was leaving work with your pants unzipped a sign of that perfection? ;-)