Do you think people know what you truly think about them? I don't just mean the people you care about, knowing how much you do care, and appreciate them, but the people you don't like. Do they know you don't like them?
Isn't there some level of dishonesty in being friendly to people when you truly despise them? *sigh* I dunno... I am almost always nice to people, no matter what I feel about them. And I think people are led to believe that I'm friends with them because of that. I think that makes me a hypocrite and 2-faced. It's strange, I'm nicer to people I don't like than I am to people I like. The more comfortable I am with someone, the more likely I am to pop off rude remarks sometimes.
Well, that's enough of deep thoughts for me.
Monkey Ass!!!

30 comments:
Shit, you must really hate me. *pout*
I don't know if the people who I dislike know it or not. However, it is not because I am friendly with them. If i dont like someone, I tend to not talk to them. I have been known to make rude comments if I do have contact though.
But lord help us all if I am drinking. When I am drunk and someone i dont like is around, I tend to tell them that I don't like them and why.
OK, yeah, right, ya dork!
I don't talk to people whether I like them or not. I'm rude that way.
I don't find it rude. I find it convenient. The less you talk, the more you can listen to me talk. :P
I'll listen, but do I have to actually pay attention?
*grin*
No, just humor me and look interested.
People usually know when I don't like them. I cannot hide my emotions real well, just ask CSTL.
On a serious note, I've struggled with this before. I am nice to people I don't like. However, I am often wrong about things - all kinds of things. I could be wrong about that person I don't like. How many times have people taken a dislike to me because I was having an off day or because I said something stupid at the worst possible moment?
I don't like feeling left out or unwelcome, so I try not to make other people feel that way. I don't think it's hypocritical.
Now, if you're inviting them over for coffee and starting conversations with "How nice to see you!", maybe that *would* be a bit 2-faced.
Actually, I should say I'm 'polite' to people I don't like. That's different.
Oh, Carey! When I look at you, I'm 'interested'!
Seana, No, I don't say "it's so nice to see you" or anything like that to people I don't like, but I do talk with them. I'm almost always polite to them. For me to be rude to someone I dislike, they have REALLY pissed me off. But then I think sometimes they get the impression that we're friends, and then I feel like I'm being dishonest, because while I may not like them, I don't want to hurt their feelings either. But I find myself feeling trapped into being "friends" even though, I never liked them.
I'm polite to pretty much everyone unless I really can't stand the person in which case I'll probably ignore them. I find like seana that sometimes I may be completely wrong about the person.
The people I wish would know how I feel, probably aren't capable of "getting it", know what I mean?
*hoping arkie comes to be mean or snarky in my blog soon*
I'm the same way. Polite to everybody.
...but if I really like you, I *stalk* & *smooch* you! *smirk*
I think the peeps I don't like KNOW that I don't like them. I can't be THAT nice to someone I don't like.
Agree with Seana. I can be completely wrong about people sometimes. I try to be polite with everyone, or at least civil.
I do, however, tend to end up ignoring peeps I really don't like.
There are many times that I would like the people that I really really don't like, to know it.
Sometimes, being "polite" sucks.
I'm tired of being nice. I have to be nice at work, and it takes a lot out of me. You know, when someone says "you probably think I'm stupid" after asking the same question for the 50 gazillionth time, it is sooooooo hard not to agree.
I've gotten in trouble more than once at work because of questions like that. Because i would respond "Well, yeah, I'm starting to get that impression"
I'm like Carey. If I don't like someone, I tend to just ignore them. I don't often talk to people I don't like. Unless I have to, like if they're family *coughBILcough* or something. :D
Arkie? You must *love* me for all the mean comments you make to me. *grin* (and the feeling is mutual, bitch)
*smooch*
Your talking about me aren't you!
LOL at zombs.
I pretty much take people at face value. I'm polite to most everyone, and nice to people I like. I won't pretend to be friendly to someone I don't like (I'd still be polite) and I'd hate (HATE) people to pretend to be friendly to me.
I like to think that if I don't like someone, that they would know it. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. I try to be polite (or at least civil - good word Nookie) even to people that I don't particularly care for. It's a prerequisite for being Canadian. *snicker*
I'll turn it around and say that I often have trouble knowing what other people think of me. I've unintentionally hurt people's feelings by joking around and being a smart-ass, that's my nature, and they've taken it the wrong way and been hurt by it. I try to be more careful about it these days.
With all the drama going on with my divorcing friends, I have reached the point where I just wish that people could be more upfront with me. If I've done something to hurt or piss you off, tell me and we'll work it out. It's when they just get mad and don't ask about it that bugs me.
And then there's Mean Jean. At least where she's concerned we both know how we feel about each other. *giggle*
I have been thinking about this, and you know I want to change my answer.
For the most part I am nice to everyone, and one thing is for sure I hate to cause any hurt to another person.
But that being said, sometimes people push me and I cannot be nice to them. I just cannot be.
Maybe I have an attitude problem?
Syren, I would definitely not call it an attitude problem.
There are a handful of peeps that I despise. Sure, it's not very nice of me to feel that way but these peeps have hate in their souls. Why should I pretend to be nice to them?
Nookie, that's how I feel about Mean Jean. She honestly thinks she's a nice person but she treats people like shit every day. After 20 years of this I just can't bring myself to make nice with her so I try to avoid her at all costs. She's a hateful, jealous, and mean person and I've never despised (another very good word) anyone in my life like I do her. /rant
I think I feel better now. *grin*
I should clarify. If I need to work with someone, I will always be polite (even if I am trying to get them fired). It is the professional thing to do and I don't think that my personal feelings should interfer.
There are several people I don't *like* and and one or two I dislike, but I can still work well with them. I'm not inviting them for coffee or to my house though. I also know people who are good friends, but I wouldn't want to work with them.
Mr Bob is worse than I am. For some reason his closest friends tend to be people that he knows he could not work with.
Working with good friends isn't easy.
I met my best friend at work. She doesn't work anymore but we are still best friends. For a time, I was her supervisor and it almost cost us our friendship.
I work with DH. I am able to separate the personal from the business. It's other coworkers that often bring our personal lives into it.
As far as coworkers I don't like, I will always be professional and be civil to them.
ditto
I am always polite while remaining somewhat aloof.
Monkey ass? Was that a Gus shout out?
Nookie is this the best friend you went to e-mail then found out they quit?
This is a good question. I tend to be more carefully polite to people I don't like, although my other main tendency is to glaze over when they're around and become extremely vague. With some people (Eric's hideous uncle, our nosy neigbour) it's the only way I can cope.
Right now I'm coping with my mother that way, because (and I can't say it on my blog; she knows where it is) she is driving me a little nuts. Gah!
ok, then.
Post a Comment