Tuesday, April 08, 2008

I've talked the talk,

but can I walk the walk?

I've always felt that each person has to make their own way, in regards to spiritual beliefs. I know what I believe, and I know that not every one believes the same way. I do believe in God. I believe that God has given each of us free will to decide whether or not to believe, whether or not to worship, and so on.

I was brought up as a Baptist. And while I still have questions about some of their beliefs, that's the label I put on myself.

Well, Clint has decided that God is leading him to become a Mormon. And I have to admit, I'm a little freaked out by this. A lot of my freaking out has to do with lack of knowledge of what Mormons belief and how they practice their religion. I keep telling myself, who am I to question what God's path for Clint is? If Clint believes that this is what God has planned for him, who am I to say he is wrong? That this can't be what Clint needs to do?

I'm also concerned because Clint is being very closed-mouth about it now. Before, he was very vocal about his beliefs (sometimes a little too vocal, in that he has all the arrogance that teenagers can have in feeling that they're right, and no one else knows anything). He went from talking to me about everything, to not saying hardly anything.

12 comments:

Paul said...

Seems to me he's exploring, trying to establish his identity a bit. That's to be expected.

Now I do have some problems with what the LDS church teaches, and I generally do not support the church as such. That being said, I've never known an LDS member not to be a fine, upstanding, God-fearing person, and I count several as friends.

As a member of a church that likewise many are familiar with, many others criticize, and many are part of, I can appreciate how my opinion on Mormonism would not be the end-all and be-all. I could cite things, but those in the church and their supporters could cite things.

For each of us, I think it ultimately comes down to this: Where do we get fed spiritually? Where do we draw life from? I readily admit I have fallen down on this in my personal life lately, as this impending move has kicked up all sorts of carp in my personal life.

But I still believe in where I can find the Answer . . . if I once in a while just Shut Up, Don't Just Do Something, and Stand There (in other words, stop acting like I'm not a spiritual being).

I'm not a parent of a teenager (you have my sympathies there), but perhaps what he's not confiding in you he may be telling someone else.

Hope that helps. Good question, which has no simple answer.

#smooch#

MM said...

I agree with Cygnus, arkie.

It's probably too early to tell how deeply he will get involved, and for how long, so just hang in there, and maybe do a little research yourself so you can have a discussion with him about it, when the time is right. I think anytime a young person expresses an interest in God, it's a good thing.

My DD's best friend is Mormon, and I've talked to her about it a little bit. It's a hard religion for me to understand, but as Cygnus said, most seem to be well meaning and good people.

Zombs said...

It is tough Arkie. I would definately check out the people he is meeting with to make sure this is an official LDS church and not some off shoot.

You are a good mom. *smooch*

Paul said...

Considering recent news . . . what Zombs said.

kim (weltek) said...

Something obviously appealed to him about Mormonism. It's more than God's calling him to that religion. Push the issue without sounding critical. You are his mother, he is still young. It IS your business.

Mormonism, as do some other religions, offer mission work that sounds very appealing to kids. A trip with a great sense of purpose upon return. It's his chance to escape, see the world and feel good about himself. Who doesn't want that?

arkie said...

Thanks for your input, everyone.

I got rather angry last night, with his former church. Apparently, they (youth group leader and members of the youth group) have been calling Clint a lot, telling him he shouldn't be doing this, and then last night, one of the group leaders went to the church where Clint was to confront him, and ask him why he was there. Clint then told me that while he was eating at a restaurant close to the old church, that the youth group leader and a couple of the youths came in to talk to him, and Clint said it was kind of intense. I can understand being concerned, but I just think going to a place of worship, especially when you are supposedly also a Christian, to confront someone is just over the line.

Swami said...

Well, I am not religious so no advice there, but I do know that teens often like to explore ideologies and places that are removed from their parents. This is a normal part of becoming their own person. It's also normal when they stop talking about stuff they're dealing with as much as they used too. Frustrating as heck - but normal.

The current youth minister sounds like he is way aggressive. Can you informally ask another minister in your church what's up with that? I think I would do this.

And what Zombs said about checking out just what branch of Mormon church it is that he is drawn to. Maybe ask Clint if he would mind if you attended a service there? That could be a bad idea too. I just don't know.

dragonflies said...

I was going to post what Swami said. Yes, do your research, but ask him if you can join him in attending a service. If nothing else, it will show him you support him.

If it was me, I would want to be involved in his decision, without being a helicopter parent, which is a fine line.

Mine is 13 now, so I'm just starting these scary years.

Paul said...

Eeesh, Arkie. That's called coercion, and it's uncalled for by ANY group. While I'm not sure whether the Mormon group would be good for him, it seems to me that this current one sure isn't.

Kimmah said...

My aunt was born and raised a Baptist, as were all my mother's siblings. Their father was a Deacon and he was staunchly Baptist until he died.

Somewhere along the way in her later life (after her father died), my aunt, who was single all her life, became a Mormon. My aunts were absolutely horrified. They consider the Mormon Church a cult. I don't think they ever confronted her about it (although I would not be surprised if one of them had), but there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth in family meetins when Aileen was incapactiated by cancer.

Her church family supported her unfailingly. They were there when no one in the family could be. They brought food. They cleaned her house. They drove her to treatment and when she died, they were like a rock for my mother and family members. My mom said that from what she saw over the two-to-three year period, she could never say anything bad about the Mormon faith and their devotion to their fellow man.

I've taught several kids from Mormon families. All of them have been just fabulous kids. There is a great emphasis on education in the church.

The way he is being treated by his old church is scary. I would absolutely say something to the adults in charge. It is unacceptable for them to harass a child about his religious callings, but understand that many Southern Baptists share my aunt's feelings that it is a cult and they have very strong feeling about it.

I would talk with him at length as others have mentioned to find out why he is pulled to this faith. I would encourage him to research everything he can online about Mormons so that he makes a decision based on facts, not on emotion. Make sure he reads up on the history of the church and its founding (the whole Garden of Eden in Missouri is enough to make me question Joseph Smith's motives, sanity and calling).

Sidenote--we have a chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Atheletes at our school. Several years ago, a Mormon student applied to be he captain (president). My friend who sponsors the club chose her and turned her name into the regional office. Someone higher up said that she could not be captain because Mormons aren't Christian. Denise was livid (and she's Church of Christ, so if she was okay with April being chosen, I cannot imagine why anyone else would freak out, but whatever). She argued with the PTB that it was not her (or their) place to question April's belief in the teachings of Christ, which she professed in her application (the application requires paragraph answers to a couple of faith-based questions). April stayed captain. I suppose FCA didn't want to face a lawsuit or bad publicity.

Kimmah said...

pretend that I spelled athletes correctly in the other post and NOT according to the Southern pronunciation that many people use (and which makes my teeth hurt to hear).

Anonymous said...

I typed out several posts last week, all of which disappeared when my computer was crashing.

I think I was in agreement with finding out as much as you can about it and supporting as much as you can without conflict. What has suddenly atracted him to this?

*hugs*