You know, they say being a parent is one of the most rewarding "jobs" you can ever do. And while that may or may not be true, it can definitely be one of the hardest. Never knowing if you're really doing it right, being compared (and comparing yourself) to others and maybe feeling inadequate, being judged, getting unsolicited advice - fun stuff, really.
I'm going to do something this week (or actually let arkieboy do something this week) that I'm sure a lot of people would disapprove of. (Actually, I *know* a lot of people disapprove.) But I decided I really don't care if others disapprove and think I'm being too permissive or whatever. This is one of those things that I don't have a problem with, I've made him wait for well over a year and think about if it's what he really wants, and so? It's happening. He wants a tattoo, and assuming I can find a copy of his birth certificate so we can go get a photo ID for him, we will be going to Kentucky where it's legal for a minor to get a tat with parental consent. His dad does not like this.
And that's the thing I'm really questioning. How much weight should I give to his opinion? He's never been there for Clint very often - even when we lived less than 10 minutes away from him, he would only try to see Clint maybe twice a year. Yes, he pays child support, but that's only because after 4 years of non-payment, I turned him in to the child support agency, and it's held directly from his check - even then, we still don't get it on a regular basis. So, should his opinion really matter? Should it be given any consideration? I don't know. Clint doesn't feel his dad should have a say, and got rather ticked when his dad called him to gripe at him about it and then tried to guilt him into not getting it by saying that if Clint gets this tat, it will really hurt him (his dad).
*************************************************************
I'm on vacation starting today, until next Tuesday. I need this break. Yesterday at work, every time I heard the email delivery noise-thing, I would cuss. It was hard to be pleasant on the phone. But on the positive side, I've been totally kicking butt at my job. With my supervision, we've collected triple the outstanding amount than what we thought we could this month. So, yay me! yay me!
*************************************************************
I finally got some more bookcases for my books. Actually, what I bought was CD towers (from Target), but they are the perfect size for paperbacks. I have 5, and need one more (for now). Now I'm trying to decide if I want to alphabetize the books by authors, or just leave them shelved in the random order they are in.
************************************************************

5 comments:
I need bookcases. Good idea on cd towers for paperbacks!
I have zero opinion on the tat thing. I think people make too big of a deal out of it. I guess my biggest concern as a parent would be where my child got one. Appearance DOES impact employment prospects and a child might not know at a young age what his/her career choice will be and how body art can impact that.
I can see where you are torn about considering Clint's dad's opinion. I'd be inclined to say eff off to him, but I'm not sure that's the best answer. :-)
Good for you for doing well at work. Feels so good, doesn't it?
Dad doesn't get a vote. Also, wish I had a job..
I personally don't "get" tattoos, but so long as he doesn't get BOSTON tattooed on his neck or something aggressively visible & obnoxious like that then I have no advice. :)
Dad has expressed his opinion. So done. He doesn't get any veto rights in my book.
Good for you, excelling in your job!
Alphabetize (or at least group) by author. Collections look more fun, plus you will be less likely to rebuy a reissued old novel from a favorite author that way.
Pffft, his Dad can go suck dirty buttholes. He is a sperm donor if you ask me.
Please alphabetize. Please. It's disturbing me at this very moment knowing that they are not in some sort of order. *calms tic*
*smooch*
OK, the books are alphabetized by author. But, I split them up by hardbacks, trade paperbacks and mass market paperbacks, and it kind of bothers me that I have to look on different shelves for the same authors. I don't know if I will be able to overcome not having all of one authors books together, or if I will have to change that. I also want each author's books in order by date of publication.
In other news, my cat is a total slut. I had someone come by yesterday to give me a price quote on new windows, and she was ALL.OVER.HIM.
Post a Comment