
I had to wear it the next year, too. One day, in Honors English, our teacher was going over something in that day's lesson. We were working on creative writing. I don't remember what point she was trying to make, but she decided to give us an example, I think of descriptive writing. So, to somehow teach us something about writing, she makes this statement: "You can tell that Freda is poor because her clothes are handmade and are made of cotton materials." Maybe we were supposed to incorporate observations in our writing assignment. I don't remember the "lesson", but I do remember the feeling of humiliation.
This picture has nothing to do with the posts. I just like the way my hair looks. This was my 11th grade pic.

10 comments:
Wow, I cannot believe your teacher said that. How awful. *HUGS*
Your hair does look fabulous in that last pic.
*kicks stupid teacher in the ass*
Your hair looks lovely, btw.
My mom made a lot of my clothes when I was a schoolgirl and I always loved them because she made them just for me. Of course I also had store-bought ones because we were not at all poor. Maybe that made the difference in how I felt. Also, mom sewed so well! Her clothes fit me perfectly and were always in exactly the fabric & colors that appealed to me.
You're just beautiful, Freda!
I sure hope teachers have changed since then, because that makes my blood boil.
You're finally smiling with "teeth" in the 11th grade picture. It's a beautiful picture. Poo on the Honors English teacher. She gets an F in the class and should be demoted to detention class.
I agree with the rest. That teacher should have been strung up and made fun of.
You were a cute, cute, cute child! It's unfortunate that even in 1st grade there is a division of the haves and have nots. I'm dealing with it with the Rottens. Unfortunately, there are many many children in our area who fit in the have not category. It's a hard lesson for children to understand and much "easier" to make fun of those things they just don't understand or know.
Boo, I was in the 8th or 9th grade before I realized that they made "girls" jeans. I wore the same style Levi's that my brothers did.
A lot of my classmates were really upset on my behalf when she said that. They all thought she was out of line and that I should go to the principal's office and complain. I wouldn't do it though. She was married to the superintendent of the school district. I seriously doubt that anything would have been done even if I had made a complaint.
I would probably have been more pleased with having my mom make my clothes if it had been more of a choice instead of a necessity. It was just knowing, for the longest time, that I could never have any of the clothes I saw in the stores.
People can say what they want about 80's hair, but I still like the way it looked. *grin* If it wasn't so much effort, what with the blowdrying, and the curling iron (and keeping it permed), and all the hairspray, I would probably still be wearing the same hairstyle.
I too, Arkie was poor and suffered from the "don't have's". It has formed how I shop and the fact that I have way, way to many shoes and jeans. I was really tall and all my pants were flood pants. I shiver remembering.
That teacher is a bitch - cod I hate people like that!
I love the hair also. I suffer from being 80's unskilled because I could never get my hair to look like that.
Perhaps that's one reason I was blessed with going to a Catholic grade school and a boys' high school; no one cared what I look like.
That comment from the teacher was so. wrong.
*wonders what it would have been like to take the cute Arkie to a prom*
Wow! Can't even think of enough to say about that teacher! *grrr*
No one else has mentioned this, so I will. I'm amazed by your beautiful teeth! They look so nice and straight!
Post a Comment